[Mapserver-users] Win CE Version

Dharani Babu dharanibabus at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 00:34:11 EST 2004

Hi all
    I am venturing into trails of using map server components in a win ce
based device . I invite and request all of the members to add thier points .
My Aim is to develope a map server component on a handheld device of like
pocket PC . The first phase is to successfully deploy the mapserver exe (
either _36 or _40) at the target device with associated dlls and libs .I
hope we will be in need of map server exe version for win ce platform right
? As I am using emualtor I dont face any probs as of now with accessing the
mapserver exe but the case may be different when it comes to activesync it
to the real device . Third phase --
There are two possibilties one is that the device being connected to net(
tyler this point is to you :)) . In that case from the device the user types
like http:<ip>/file.html off they go !!! but the situation is not that
simple . Coz the devices wont be connected to net at all . In that case we
are in need of 1) passing the hidden variables to the mapserv exe WITHOUT
init html 2) retrieving the temporary images created at the /tmp folder and
then have to display them without BROWSER . right ? Here is where I am
confused lot .. Does the IE retreive the tmp images or the mapserver maps
the images to an instance of IE ? I hope the second . So in this case how to
change the default behavior of mapserver's association with brower to
display the images ? Fourth ..
How to get the template html work done with out html ? Thats we need to have
zoom in /out /pan /query feature etc Which need to be somehow fired without
the template html ... And last The mother of all doubts I have is will map
server work without apache or IIS ? :)
I amplanning to start coding next week onwards . Hope I would be having some
tons of messages in my inbox after week end ....
I hope I have opened a wide area of discussion to follow ...I hope to get
invaluable suggestions from the members in all ...bye for now
with regards and thanks in advance
dharani babu
NB: The possible platform for mapserver component in win ce will be VB
.NETsmart project ...