[Mapserver-users] fully featured GIS and "mapserver vs GRASS GIS"

Saurabh Data sd at dil.in
Sun Apr 4 09:29:22 EDT 2004

Dear Zoltan

Thanks for your email.

Regarding overlay : In the Demo , mapserver can make use of overlaying i.e.
it displays cities and roads on the same map. Can you give me more
information on that ?.
The demo also mentions about "query by feature" and , "query multiple
features" , what are they for ?

as you said that analysis is not involved, does it make use of of other tool
called "network analysis" ?

ALso, as said on the mapserver homepage, it uses quadtree spatial indexing .
I couldnt find any more relevant information on the documentation page. IS
there anything mentioned elsewhere ?

Many Thanks

Saurabh

------
Analysis is not involved (buffering, overlay, modelling).
Map creation and editing missing.

---------
No sense to compare them. The purpose of the two systems are different.
Grass is a professional, full featured GIS, prefering raster data.

Mapserver is map publising tool. You cannot substitute Grass with
Mapserver and vica versa.

Bye
Zoltan

Saurabh Data
School of Computing
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
U.K.

one who seeketh , will findeth and all door shall open - james Allen