[Mapserver-users] Mapserver - OGR - Oracle (revisited)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 7 13:10:30 EDT 2004

bartvde at xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> on a previous post I mentioned that it appeared that the BBOX of the WMS
> request was not used in the query sent to Oracle.
>
> This was caused by the DATA statement in the MAP file. If we used a select
> statement there (like the one commented out in the example below), always
> a full table scan was performed. Using the lower "syntax" it works fine.
>
> #   DATA "select ORA_GEOMETRY from AdreSDO"
>     DATA AdreSDO
>
> But now there is the following problem that a WMS GetCapabilities request
> takes more than one minute (also resulting in a full table scan in
> Oracle). Is there any way to prevent this, can it be read from the
> USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA table or the MAP file?

Bart,

As I think Daniel noted in another message, you can pre-supply the extent
(which is what I assume is taking a long time).  The better solution would
be for me to override the OGR OCI driver's GetExtent() logic to use the
USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA as you suggest.  I kind of thought I had done that,
but looking through the code I see the generic logic is used which involves
reading the complete table.

Feel free to submit that as an enhancement request in the GDAL/OGR
bugzilla.

While a great deal of work went into optimization of the OCI driver for
since that was not the focus of the funding project.

Best regards,