[Mapserver-users] Projection Help

Paul VanDyke pvandyke at kib.co.kodiak.ak.us
Wed Apr 7 18:16:21 EDT 2004

I'm sorry for not being too specific, but I didn't know what information
was necessary.  Thank you for the questions.

Here's what I'm doing:

I acquired a .jpg satellite picture of Alaska that was 5202x4002 pixels.
I cropped it to 1800x1162 pixels (to include only the relevant parts)
and saved it as a 24-bit uncompress RGB .tif file

When I add it to ArcMap, it prompts me to build pyramids, which I say
YES to and then I get a message that says, "One or more layers is
missing spacial reference information. Data from those layers cannot be
projected."

The raster shows up a just a spec on the map, but thru the
georeferencing process, I expand it to the proper proportions and then
output a recitfied image.  I realize that this image is going to be very
grainy when zoomed in, but it's just a birds eye view (a very high
bird/satellite) of our island.

The rectified .tif does not have a coordinate system defined for it yet
as checked with the LISTGEO command.

Then I assign it a projection from within ArcCatalog by right-clicking
and selecting properties; choosing the "Spacial Reference" tab and
clicking Edit; I then choose Import and select one of the shape files
that is on the map and import it's coordinate sytem, which happens to be
NAD_1927_StatePlane_Alaska_5_FIPS_5005.

When I look at my MapServer output, the raster is plotted south of the
shapefile by a big stretch. I originally said 100 miles but I think it's
probably more like 700 miles.  Changing the projection in my .map file
from init=epsg:26705 to init=epsg:26735 make the map disappear entirely.
One of the rasters that work is of type 26705, but the shapefile that
I'm working with is 26735.

Please feel free to comment on my proceedures.  Maybe I'm missing a
step, but it all looks good in ArcMap...

Thanks,

Paul