[Mapserver-users] Architecture Question - Mapserver and Databases

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Apr 8 14:59:25 EDT 2004

> I'm new to mapserver, but I have read alot of the archives, so I do know
> some of these questions have been done to death, but please bear with
me,
> I'll try to be as articulate as possible.

FYI - Are you also familiar with the Ottawa user group?  Someone else
could comment on how active they are, but you  may have others who can
share your pain face-to-face at Carleton or elsewhere in Ottawa.
http://www.omsug.ca/contact.html

> 3. What 'killer' features do these GIS data types enable anyways,
obvious
> to me are things like detecting intersections, but what else?

Think GIS.  That's what a spatial db like PostGIS allows.  For many, "GIS
means mapping", because that is what many GIS-like commercial products
excel at - as opposed to excelling at spatial data analysis.  Likewise,
most of the alternative db's that are available focus on providing spatial
data storage, requiring $pecial $oftware to do any kind of analysis or
manipulation of the data.
With the current functionality of PostGIS in particular (I'm not familiar
with mysql's capabilities), you could actually do all your GIS processing
in the database including unioning of layers, overlap detection,
buffering, distance calculations, and more.  Putting this all together
into a MapServer application gives you the ability to not just map static
layers but also, with some programming of course, provide interactive
analysis and visualization capabilities.

Hope that helps... let me know if you want to me to continue ranting :)

Tyler