[Mapserver-users] Question about GetLegendGraphic

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Apr 20 13:45:29 EDT 2004

Stephanie,

  The implementation right now does not really allow you to request
legends for a specific class.

   Here is an idea of implemetation : How about using the class name as
a mean to regoup classes. Classes having the same name could be
considered of being of the same "Style" (Style as defined in OGC).  I am
not sure but I do not think that class names must necessarly be unique.
Assuming that class names are not unique, a user could use the Style
parameter in the GetLegendGraphic request to get a legend for a specific
class (or classes).

  There might be some issues that I do not see here, but what do you
think about this approch ?

Later,

Choi,Stephanie [Ontario] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a question about GetLegendGraphic request in Mapserver.  I can
> sucessfully use GetLegendGraphic to get any legend icons without any
> problem when a layer with one class object and one symbol sign.  But
> when a layer contains more than one class objects and symbols in it then
> I have a question about it :)  I can get all the symbols that I specific
> in a layer but the problem I have right now is those symbols are
> overlapped with each other when I make a GetLegendGraphic request.  I
> use the GetLegendRequest as followed:
>
> _http://localhost/cgi-bin/wms?version=1.1.1&Layer=test&request=GetLegendGraphic&format=image/png_
> <http://localhost/cgi-bin/wms?version=1.1.1&Layer=test&request=GetLegendGraphic&format=image/png>
>

> I just wonder if there is a way to get legend icon with each symbol I
> specified in this layer.  Could anyone give me a hint ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stephanie

Assefa Yewondwossen