Where to get RADAR data? was: Re: [Mapserver-users] variable (proportionately) sized point data

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 22 18:14:45 EDT 2004

Hi Tyler,

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

>Gerry, I'm also curious on what's going on in the backend - some neat
>stuff at any rate.  Where do you get radar?

You can get the RADAR imagery from my WMS service.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wms/comprad.php?

Or you can download the composites directly from.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/data/gis/images/unproj/USCOMP/

Or if you are like Gerry and myself and have the raw NIDS NWS Level III
data, you can convert these datafiles into composite GIS rasters.  My
crude HOWTO on this procedure can be found here.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/docs/radmapserver/howto.html

The composites aren't the pretty ones you can get from the commercial
vendors, but they work :)

later,
  daryl

--