[Mapserver-users] truetype symbol size in legend

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Mon Apr 26 11:52:45 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 11:02, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Going on with the learning process concerning (proportionately sized)
> truetype symbols...
>
> Thanks to Jan Hartmann and Michael Schulze, I can now satisfyingly display
> symbols proportionate to a given attribute. Now I would like to be able to
> display this symbol in the legend at a reaonable size.
>
> Below is my entire layer definition. When I display this, I get a
> one-pixel point in the legend for "Symbole cercle TT". I can "hack" a
> larger symbol by using the SYMBOL and SIZE commands. However, this works
> as long as SIZE is smaller then the smallest value in LABELSIZEITEM,
> otherwise everything smaller is scaled up to the value of SIZE...
>
> Is there a way of defining the size of one symbol within the legend ?
>
> Moritz
>
> ********Layer definition**************
>
>   LAYER # Cerclestt
>     Name Cerclestt
>     DATA centres_communes
>     STATUS OFF
>     TYPE POINT
>     LABELSIZEITEM VOITURE
>     FILTER ([VOITURE] > 0)
>
>     CLASS
>      NAME "Symbole cercle TT"
>      COLOR 255 0 0
>      TEXT "N" # charactère correspondant au symbole du cercle dans la
> police ESRI1
>      LABEL
>        POSITION cc
>        FONT esri_1
>        TYPE truetype
>        FORCE true
>        COLOR 255 0 0
>        ANTIALIAS true
>      END
>   END
>  END # Cerclestt

This is something of a hack also but you could create a separate layer
just for displaying the legend. Remove the NAME from your CLASS  above
to prevent it from displaying in the legend.

Create a new LAYER:
NAME Cerclestt_legend
STATUS DEFAULT
TYPE POINT
CLASS
  NAME "Symbole cercle TT"
  COLOR 255 0 0
  # circle name defined in symbol.sym file
  SYMBOL "circle"
  SIZE N
END

Set N to the size you want in pixels.  You could also create a TrueType
"N" circle in your symbol.sym file and use that as your SYMBOL.

Eric