[Mapserver-users] ArcGrid format.

ANDREW WOOLEY AWOOLEY at mountainland.org
Tue Apr 27 17:23:56 EDT 2004

I have been in the process (a very long one, I might add) of moving my
map apps to a new server with the latest version of MapServer.  So, I
don't have a fully functioning version of my mapping that uses this
layer, but I do have it working - that is generating a map.  You can
check it out at http://66.89.102.144/doqq.phtml  (if the NED doesn't
draw, just refresh until it does, it seems to go out at times). This was
just my test to see if I could get it to work and overlay some vector
data. It works, but I have not integrated it into any of my fully
functional maps, yet.

The biggest drawbacks I can see to using it are 1) it takes much longer
to load the map than if it is a static TIF, like I have been using in
other maps.  The TIF works for me because my maps are almost exclusively
just Northern Utah. If I didn't have to reproject the NED layer, it
would probably just as fast, I assume. and 2) to get it to look good and
clear, you have to do 24 bit images (as I understand it) and they are
huge.  The one generated in my demo is ~330kb.  That is much too large
for most of the users.  I think the speed and small images are what make
MapServer the best choice for this thing and when those are lost, it
starts to lose its value. If I wanted slow loading maps I would have
gone with ArcIMS :).

Anyway, if you follow the link I provided, you can see the image and
view the map file.  As I mentioned before, the WMS bit I gathered off
the list. I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to the WMS
stuff.  Thanks again to whoever provided it.

Andrew

>>> Bob Basques <bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> 4/27/2004 2:48:59 PM >>>
Andrew,

Can you publish(or provide a copy of) a (more)complete mapfile that you

use this in?  I've been menaing to test this service, just haven't
gotten around to for one reason or another.

bobb