Shapelib

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 2 09:33:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:43:05 -0800, nasir mahmood <nasir_pcit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to know extent and other attributes of a shape file. For this, I have
> downloaded a shapelib and unziped it but dont know how to use it.
>
> Please, anybody can help me by use it?

Nasir,

I would suggest you review the documentation and then
ask this question on the shapelib mailing list so as to not
unnecessarily distract mapserver users.

If you just want to run the shpdump command to get the
extents then you would need to first build it.  As per the
README this would be accomplished on windows by
running the VC++ VCVARS.BAT and then issuing the
command "nmake /f makefile.vc".

If you are unwilling to build stuff from source - don't have
a compiler, etc, then I would strongly suggest you instead
use OGR.  The ogrinfo utility can report shapefile extents,
field list and dumps of all the features using a command
like "ogrinfo -al abc.shp | more".  Pre-built OGR utilities
are available as part of the FWTools kit.

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Best regards,