MapServer Spline

Cord Thomas cord at LUPINEX.COM
Thu Dec 2 12:02:27 EST 2004

I understand that Mapserver currently does not support spline, and in
reading some earlier posts, it does not appear to be on the horizon (GD
does not support this?).

Where do feature priorities get tracked?  Could we devise a voting system?

As to splining, i am sure a true splining solution is not trivial, but
what might be a reasonable solution is angled labels on the fly.  A simple
algorithm where when mapserver determines the location of a label, it
fixes the center point there, determines the angle (there is a proper term
for this?) of the associated line feature and then angles the label
accordinly - this would simply replace the attribute-based angle
calculation with a feature based calculation.  Of course, in some cases,
such as on very irregular shapes, this will result in some untoward
results, but for some this might be a reasonable solution -
LabelByLocalOrientation or some such method.

Cord