How to find out whether point is in map extent?

Sun Dec 12 11:46:06 EST 2004

Hello Miroslav,

The way mapserver works is that "maps" are the data the mapserver serves
to the client. the data can be any of numerous formats like
geo-referenced rasters, or point, line, polygon data, etc. When a client
requests [a location and scale] or [a bounding box] to view, mapserver
searches through all the data it has been given and then displays the
requested view.

So what you need to do is:

1) create a mapfile with layers that define you "maps" data
2) If your data is broken into multiple files then you might need to
create and use a tileindex
3) create a template UI that calls the CGI interface to get user
requests and passes the requests to mapserver CGI

You can use the demo application as a starting point for a CGI template
application.

Can you tell us more about your "maps" data.
How many files? What type of files are they?
Is it raster data? Tiff?, jpeg, png, gif, other?
Is it geo-referenced? ie: does it have world files?

-Steve W