Logging error messages, environment variable MS_ERRORFILE

Benjamin Thelen bt at CCGIS.DE
Mon Dec 13 08:14:37 EST 2004

Hi,

I was told somewhere that I could set an environment variable called
MS_ERRORFILE within system variables under Windows and assign a path
to a text file for logging purposes. Then UMN-MapServer error messages
are expected to be more communicative. I never testet it under
Windows, I need this for Unix/Linux systems. I tried to set this
variable in a shell, but UMN-MapServer doesn't write anything to the
assigned file.

Background for this are error messages like "Cannot draw layer XYZ".
It would be really helpful, to have more information about this
"Cannot" :-)!

Any ideas? Any ideas about this MS_ERRORFILE. You'll find the
following line in maperror.c (that is not the only appearance)
errfile = getenv("MS_ERRORFILE");

Maybe that is a questions which would better be addressed to the dev-list?

Kind Regards,
Benjamin