How to join data tables for visualization

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 12:36:39 EST 2004

Hi Holger,

If you are very careful, you can simply add the new fields to the dbf
file of the shapefile, saving the need to perform the join everytime
you view that layer.

If you do not have the GIS software to add the fields and
corresponding data in a safe way, and if the shapefile isn't too huge
in the number of records, you can add the fields using a spreadsheet
program such as Excel.

Just be absolutely sure you do not re-order the records or add any
records or they will loose their assocciation with the corresponding
shapes and indices of the shapefile.

Also only do this if the data in the shapefile is fairly simple as it
is easy to loose the data types and field widths using this method.

But it works in a pinch.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC