MapServer/FreeGIS and the market

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 20:43:38 EST 2004

Hi Mike,

A side note to your point about ESRI vs MapServer  ....

Things must be different here in Vancouver BC. ESRI is very familiar
with MapServer here and definately is against it. I had the 'pleasure'
of dealing with an ESRI salesmen here at a mining conference last year
who not only tried to put down MapServer in every way possible, but
also dragged in the name of a local MapServer proponent, claiming that
the person had gotten fed up with and dumped MapServer for ArcIMS, not
knowing that I knew the person myself.

That person had a great laugh hearing how ESRI had told me of his
demise ... I gave him the news right after he had brought me up to
date with a number of mapserver advances his group was working on.

I myself have no experience with ArcIMS, and only limited experience
with ArcSDE, but soon after the encounter with the ESRI salesmen I
priced out what it would cost to run ArcIMS with ArcSDE on an Oracle
database and found the price to be roughly $50,000 not including
roughly $15,000 in annual maintenance fees.

So take your open source experience, apply for jobs that don't even
mention open source ... and tell the company how you can save them
$50,000+  by using MapServer with PostGIS.  It's as if they are
getting you for free while you build a product for them.

Since my run-in with that ESRI salesmen at the mining conference, I
have built what I think is a powerful mining/exploration Mapserver
website for a small exploration company ... for a fraction of what
just the software would have cost from ESRI.  In fact if ESRI were the
only option, the project would have remained a dream.

In other words, open source gives you leads into the market for jobs
or projects that are simply unaffordable using ESRI. You need to show
the companies that cheaper options exist that can give them what they
want ... and that will keep you busy.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC