Problem with Oblique and Hotine oblique projections in proj?

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Dec 17 13:43:09 EST 2004

Max -

Dylan Keon ran into a similar problem with this projection back in
August (searching the archives is a good idea!), and asked about it on
the PROJ mailing list; I'm not sure he got a resolution.

IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the CODE in PROJ is broken (although
that's possible) and it's much more likely that there's something wrong
with the parametric description of that projection.  I can't see
anything obviously wrong with it, and Frank Warmerdam didn't notice
anything obviously wrong back in August when Dylan reported the same
problem.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker