Oracle Spatial for Linux

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH Michael.Smith at ERDC.USACE.ARMY.MIL
Mon Dec 20 06:25:59 EST 2004

Actually, Oracle Spatial is available for Oracle Personal, just not as a
extra cost option. Oracle Personal is intended to be 100% compatible to
Oracle Enterprise. Also, with Oracle's development license, you can use any
version free of charge for development. You only need to pay for support.
Oracle Spatial is installed with every version but in some cases is may not
be licensed.

Mike Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: Francesco Sozzi
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: 12/20/2004 2:35 AM
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Oracle Spatial for Linux

Oracle has three versions: Lite, Personal and Enterprise. Oracle Spatial
is
an option for Enterprise only, but for Personal Edition, Oracle provides
"Locator", which is a subset of Oracle Spatial (fully compatible, of
course;
only the name changes). Enterpise is fully supported into Linux, and I
think
also all other versions (Oracle is investing on this platform). Oracle
Lite
is the chepest option, but you haven't Spatial.

Hope this helps

Regards

Francesco