NetCDF via OpenDAP/DODS into mapserv

Frank Ehlers LuckyEddie at GMX.NET
Thu Dec 30 16:42:51 EST 2004

Hi!

I have tried to display the content of a NetCDF .nc file with MAPSERVER.

The DODS seems to work: If I am using ogrinfo with appropriate parameters
on DODS:http//..allnetworkstuff..file.nc?Depth[1,1,10][1,1,1]
(or was it Depth[1:1:10][1:1:10] ? Sorry, I cannot remember at the moment)
I see the following kind of output for the 10 items I requested:

lat  .... some_value_lat
lon  .... some_value_lon
Depth .... some_value_depth
POINT (some_value_lon some_value_lat)

Now, my ideas was to display the depth chart via mapserver.

The only examples I found have lines of code like these:
CONNECTION ....(like the input for ogrinfo, but with 1000 times 1000 values)
TYPE POINT

DATA "Depth"

CLASS
   COLOR 255 0 0
END

All I see in the web browser (after putting the correct latlong values into
the map file to view the area the latlong values specify in the NetCDF
file) is then a rectangular area filled with red points. That makes me
believe that in principle the connection, the .nc NetCDF file and the map
file are ok.

My QUESTION:
How can I plot an image (color coded depth values) with this method?

It would be great if anyone could help me here(e.g. some example code)!

Best regards,
Frank