[Mapserver-users] I have some landsat 7 data that I want to tile : overlap + transparency

Stephen Clark stephen.clark at focus.ca
Mon Feb 2 17:33:57 EST 2004

Frank,

Point taken about the return receipt requested set on.  Will turn it off.

I am not sure what the problem is with these ECW files.  I think that it is
the TRANSPARENCY but am not sure.
I downloaded the TIFF files and then compresed them to ECW then used
gdaltindex on them to create a tile.

Files:
My landsat data is from the Geogratis web site :

http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/download/landsat_7/ortho/geotiff/utm/

Specifically these three scenes as example:

http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/download/landsat_7/ortho/geotiff/utm/047021/
http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/download/landsat_7/ortho/geotiff/utm/048021/
http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/download/landsat_7/ortho/geotiff/utm/049021/

Note: Creating a tile using the raw TIFF files produces no "Black Fuzziness
around the scenes "

Stephen Clark wrote:
> There is a residual amount of black fuzziness around the scenes after
using
> the above OFFSITE command.
That is pretty much inevitable if you use ECW.  Lossy compression formats
will not maintain nodata areas cleanly.

Q1: Is there a way of specifying a range of values for the OFFSITE command
to handle the lossy compression fuzziness?

Q2: The transparency values do not work for a tiled raster file (TIFF and
ECW) using the links posted above.  It believe it to be an error.

> I am not eager to allow different offsite values for each file selected
from
> the tileindex.  However, if there is one offsite value in your layer
definition
> it should be used for all the tiles in the layer.  Is this not happening?
Or
> was it layer transparency (ala TRANSPARENCY keyword) that was not working?
> think I asked this before and then lost your answer in the flood of
> correspondence on the issue.

Q3: I would like the ability to specify an individual TRANSPARENCY and
OFFSITE value for each raster file before creating a tile.  That way I could
create a mosaic from many raster files and have the best part of each image
viewable.  Would this be a tremendous amount of work?

Thanks
Stephen