[Mapserver-users] Reprojection of shape file.

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Fri Feb 6 12:17:08 EST 2004

Jason,

Read through http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/projects/tutorial/example1-7.html
if you need an example.  At the bottom of the page you will find map
projection references.  Also, see
http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/projects/tutorial/example1-6.html for
comparison.

Check out http://greenwichmeridian.com/.  If you are working with data
from west of the prime meridian, your longitude is always negative--The
US is west of Greenwich.  Some people forget or just assume everyone
else knows this.

I think in proj you can specify -111.779615 as 111.779615w (I haven't
tried it).

-Perry

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 10:03, Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> Quoting "Pericles S. Nacionales" <nacional at cbs.umn.edu>:
>
> > Jason,
> >
> > Try these coordinates:
> > 40.430850 -111.779615
> >
> > -Perry
>
> 40.430850 -111.779615
> 1562580.38      7325806.46 0.00
>
> That looks right now. Corpscon spit out:
>
> 1562577.25376  7325791.80843
>

> So...  What is it I need to do to make this work since the extents I grabbed are
> right from the output of ogrinfo and looking at further output from it the
> entire shape file has a positive number for that second coordinate.
>
> Is there something I need to do in the .map file to indicate this switch in sign?

"He's no geek.His tan's too good." -Benjamin Choate