[Mapserver-users] WFS & OGR Virtual Datasource

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 9 12:56:39 EST 2004

Van Ulden, Joost wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand that an OGR virtual datasource can be exposed through WMS, but
> what about WFS.  So far I have had no luck doing this.  Any comments or
> suggestions would be helpful.

Joost,

This should work just fine.  Does it work via WMS for you?  The usual problem
is that people have permissions issues with their ODBC data source or they
get the naming conventions wrong.

To debug I would encourage:
  o Verify your ODBC source is working with some external ODBC client.
  o Verify your ODBC source is working with OGR using the commandline utility
    ogrinfo.
  o Verify your virtual file definition is working with OGR using ogrinfo.

Then try it with MapServer, keeping in mind these common issues:
  o If MapServer runs as a different user than you did all your previous testing,
    make sure that user has access to the ODBC data source (at the very least
    it needs to be a system DSN!)
  o Use a full path to the virtual file if you can't seem to get things working
    with a relative path.
  o Make sure the virtual file is readable by the user that mapserver runs as!

Good luck,