[Mapserver-users] Displaying x-y Datasets using PHP/Mapscript

Jan Vietmeier jan at vietmeier.de
Wed Feb 11 09:14:22 EST 2004

Hi All,
I use Mapserver 4.0 with PHP/Mapscript on Windows NT.

Is it possible to create a new layer from a dataset (e.g. list of
x-y-coordinates) using PHP/Mapscipt? My intention is to read some
coordinates from an odbc-connection using php and display the coordinates
with PHP/Mapscript.

The
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/phpmapscript-byexample-howto.html -Howto
says that PHP/Mapscript "... includes the possibility of dynamically create
maps or modify existing ones and to (and here is the key to the flexibility
that MapScript has) mix this information with other sources of non GIS data,
such as user input, non spatial and spatial databases, text files, etc. and
that you can use ..." and also promises the possibility of "... creation of
dynamic layers and classes ..."

but I have no idea how to do create layers or maps using PHP/Mapscript.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Jan

Jan Vietmeier, Diplom-Geograph
Im Fichtenhain 18
51069 Köln