[Mapserver-users] RE: Using Mapserver & GDAL to find elevation

Matt Doggett mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
Wed Feb 11 17:28:05 EST 2004

What I do in my PHP/mapscript is call an external program to query the
raster cell values. In my case, the rasters are GRASS grids so all I
have to do is setup my GRASS environment and then call the 'system'
function (eg.  System "r.what ...") and return the results back to the
query window. No matter what you go with, it looks like having a 3rd
party piece of software is mandatory.

Matt

Will
>mapserver
> >even read this format (by way of GDAL/OGR)?
>
>John,
>
>GDAL will read Arc/Info Binary Grids, so if it is sufficient close to
this,
>it may work.
>
>However, currently MapServer and MapScript do not provide a way to
query
>raster values.  The only thing you can do with rasters is render them
in a
>mapview.
>
>There is an intent to get query operations (in the usual mapserver
sense)
>working for rasters as well as vectors.  At that point there might be
some
>mechanism provided for reading query results back from within
MapScript.