[Mapserver-users] Drawing lines only once

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Wed Feb 11 21:13:09 EST 2004

David Mitchell writes:

> I want to effectively draw boundaries of countries. Currently I have
> POLYGON data for each country and I want to draw the outlines for the
> countries but I only want to draw outlines where two countries meet
> once.

AFAIK you will have to create new a line object from your polygon data
outside of mapserver and have this as a separate 'line object'
in your mapserver data

The easiest way todo this make a list of all the line segments of
the polygon object eliminating any duplicate entries.

Note that the a shared line segment will be in reverse ordering
i.e a shared segment from pt1 to pt2 in polygon will be ordered
pt2 to pt1 in it 'neighbor' polygon due to the consistant orientation
required for polygon objects.

HTH

Norman