[Mapserver-users] Max number of layers craps out at about 295

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Fri Feb 13 14:13:03 EST 2004

Stephen,

You only need to change MS_MAXLAYERS to increase your layer #'s.  You
don't have to touch MS_MAXCLASSES and you shouldn't really touch
MS_MAXCOLORS.

I think MS_MAXCLASSES used to have a value of 50 but when I checked my
map.h yesterday it was at 250.  How many classes per layer do you
define?  I'd say you can lower this value if you need to.

As for MS_MAXCOLORS, the default value is 256.  I wouldn't touch it.
Back in the days of MapServer 3.x this was the maximum # of colors
MapServer can support--the number of colors in the color table (look-up
table) associated with the input/output image.  I'd like to think that
this still applies to colormapped output in version 4.  I'd say leave
the default value as it is.

So, why not try these value and change your MS_MAXCLASSES if necessary:
#define MS_MAXCOLORS 256
#define MS_MAXCLASSES 50
#define MS_MAXLAYERS 700

Good luck!
-Perry N.

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:32, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Pericles,
>
> I chose the number 700 for each of the following :
>
> #define MS_MAXCOLORS 700
> #define MS_MAXCLASSES 700
> #define MS_MAXLAYERS 700
>

> because I thought that each LAYER needed the same number of CLASSES and
> COLORS.
>
> So can I assume that if I have about 3 classes per layer then I can use the
> following:
>
> #define MS_MAXCOLORS 128
> #define MS_MAXCLASSES 128
> #define MS_MAXLAYERS 700
>
> or perhaps a number less than 128?
>
> I will try out this option and recompile MS with the above specs.
>
> thanks
> Stephen

"He's no geek.His tan's too good." -Benjamin Choate