[Mapserver-users] Cannot open shared object

Abram Gillespie agillesp at vt.edu
Mon Feb 16 16:39:58 EST 2004

I've got the following system:
Debian Woody
PHP 4.3.4 (configured with: --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql
--with-regex=system --enable-force-cgi-redirect
--with-config-file-path=/etc)
MapServer 4.0.1 Mapscript module

When I load a page with the following code:
<?php
dl("php_mapscript.so");
?>

I get the error:
Warning: dl(): Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/php_mapscript.so' - libgd.so.2: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory in
/usr/bin/apache2/htdocs/test_ms.php on line 4

The file in question's in /usr/local/lib.  I've made sure it has the
correct access properties (755) and I've also tried copying it to my
/php/extensions directory.  No dice.  Is there a php.ini setting I
need, an environment variable perhaps?

Thanks for any help.
-Abe