[Mapserver-users] Re: List as Forum??

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Tue Feb 24 14:13:26 EST 2004

Since this is being discussed for the umpteenth time, I will chime
again with --

1. I prefer forums and have proposed so in the past.
2. I defer to the wishes of the majority and esp. to that of those who
run this list since I myself don't provide any resources to
run/manage/host it. I appreciate their work and generosity.

Most here seem to prefer mail list. The following is why I prefer
web-based forums --

1. My mailbox is not deluged with either countless indiv. messages or
one mongo, munged up, unmanageable digest.

2. I can get to web-based forums from anywhere -- web access is
usually more ubiquitous than email access.

3. I get the best of both worlds, if I prefer. Most forums software
allow "watching" marked threads, and informing by email or even
mailing new messages posted to watched threads.

4. Searching is usually more intelligent, flexible.

5. My propensity to reply to others' call for help is independent of
whether I subscribe to forums or mail lists.

6. I use Yahoo right now. I have to still receive the emails in my
mailbox because that is the only way I can join the Yahoo groups. So,
I get the nasty digest version that I quickly scan and delete. Then I
go to Yahoo groups to actually ask questions/reply. However, the Yahoo
ads are definitely a pain the derriere.

The one online community that I like extremely much is perlmonks.org.
The way it is organized, the way it builds a community, and the way
one can customize it to one's needs is really brilliant. The code is
opensource and available. Of course, there are many others out there.
Needless to say, the ability to block cutesy graphic smiley faces
would be a necessary criterion in choosing one.

All that said, I reiterate -- I am grateful for this community and
those who make the means available to make it possible.