[Mapserver-users] WMS client - multiple entries in "wms_srs"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 10:28:57 EST 2004

Havard Tveite wrote:
> Using recent versions of Mapserver CVS, Proj.4, ... I am a little
> confused as to the the use of "wms_srs" in the METADATA of a WMS-layer.
>
> LAYER
>   CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
>   METADATA
>   "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326 EPSG:32633 EPSG:27394 EPSG:4267 EPSG:4269"
>
> It seems to me that the first entry on the "wms_srs" list is
> always choosen by Mapserver when doing the WMS request.
>
> I thought that the point of having a list in "wms_srs" was that
> Mapserver could choose among these projections depending on the
> projection of the output map.
> This way, raster reprojection could in many cases be avoided,
> producing nicer output maps.
>
> What is the point of having a list of projections in "wms_srs"?
> Is it for future use?

Havard,

My understanding was that the wms_srs metadata was used in creation of
the capabilities document for your server, not for requesting data from the
cascaded server.  Thus your server would declare that clients may request
data in any of the listed coordinate systems.

I could be wrong of course.

Best regards,