[Mapserver-users] scale query

David Fawcett David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Wed Feb 25 10:53:33 EST 2004

There are a lot of good messages in the archive related to this (most of
them written by Ed.)

Check this one out:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0211/msg00186.html

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0212/msg00191.html

This should get you started.  The archives are at:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users

I searched the archives using a string of 'scale;Ed'

David.

David J. Fawcett
MN Office of Environmental Assistance

>>> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 2/25/2004 9:19:48 AM >>>
Daniel,

It means your map scale is 1:5249704.8 based on some assumptions that
an output pixel is like 72 (I think, maybe 96) dots per inch. Also
this is the value that you would specify in the MINSCALE/MAXSCALE
values in the mapfile.

This get asked fairly often so a search on the archives or maybe the
wiki or doc will explain it more.

-Steve W.

On 25 Feb 2004 at 14:25, Mills, Daniel wrote:

> if i change map units to DD i get 5249704.8  What does this figure
actually
> mean??
>
> Daniel

SRID=null.