[Mapserver-users] Mapscript and Java

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 26 15:51:01 EST 2004

mountainduo at mho.com wrote:
> I have a question about WMS. I'll read the spec but if  you could answer
> this soon, i'd appreciate it. can i send a point(lat/long) to the WMS
> server and will it plot it in the image that is returned?

The WMS spec doesn't allow you to add features on top of you map on the
fly.  (Maybe something could be done using a user-defined SLD layer but
that's probably more complicated than you want anyway). However there
are a few ways that you could achieve the same result, such as creating
temporary shapefiles and/or mapfiles on the server and pointing the WMS
to them for instance.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca