[Mapserver-users] followup

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Fri Feb 27 13:24:49 EST 2004

Landmark Geographic Solutions wrote:
> Hey Listers,
>
> I did figure out that the file image files have to be in png form, and
> change the IMAGETYPE to png, problem is I get this,
>
> msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined overlay symbol
> "symbols/ctyhwy.png" in class 0, style 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
> msAddImageSymbol(): Unable to access file. Error opening image file
> /var/www/html/mapserv-demo/symbols/ctyhwy.png.
>
> just wondering if I have something wrong with my directory structure paths
> on my server or is it something simple I ma missing in the the html file I
> have. I am trying to understand it right.

Make sure you have the correct permissions on the images, so that the
web user can read them.

You might also try using the absolute path to each image in the mapfile.
  On my system I get the error you describe when using relative paths.

That is,
     SYMBOL /var/www/html/mapserv-demo/symbols/ctyhwy.png
instead of
     SYMBOL symbols/ctyhwy.png

--Dylan