[Mapserver-users] using URL's in pixmap symbol

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jul 7 16:38:32 EDT 2004

It shouldn't work, but it shouldn't blow up either. If you do get a segfault or something particularly nasty then please file a bug so that it gets addressed.

There are not immediate plans to add this functionality, so only local images may be accessed. The place to add this is in mapsymbol.c in the function msAddImageSymbol(). One would need to leverage lubcurl to read the image and somehow turn it into a GD image internally. It's be really nice if GD supported this itself!

Steve

>>> Eduardo Patto Kanegae <eduardo at consultoria.eti.br> 7/7/2004 1:22:22 PM >>>
I tried to play a little using an URL ( like http://server/img/icon.gif
) at SYMBOL object...e.g.:
TYPE point
CLASS
    SYMBOL "http://server/img/icon.gif"
..
END

and MapServer crashes.

by this moment the only solution I thought is use PHP/mapscript to parse
an url, save result into an image file, and then put this temp image as
the symbol.

but, will be url images aceppted by mapserver cgi in a near future or if
doest not exist yet, what module/source should I take a look for maybe
implement it?

best

--
Eduardo Patto Kanegae