[Mapserver-users] MapServer and Redlining such as Drawing shapes and adding text

Martin Høgh mh at svaj.dk
Thu Jul 8 03:51:58 EDT 2004

--------------060804050600050404020907

Hi
There are different ways to achieve this through scripting. Check out
the project MapLink at http://maplink.sourceforge.net/. This project
allows you to draw shapes on top of a Mapserver generated map and
submitting the coordinates to the server using javascript. The server
will then generate a new png-image with the shape, merge it with the map
and send it to the client (this is done when using the query tool). Or
the server can convert the pixel coordinates into geographical ones and
insert them into (in this case) a PostGIS table. (This is done when
using the edit tool). The PostGIS approach allows you to edit exiting
features.
I believe it would be easy to write a new function that will create a
feature object from submitted coordinates, which can be labelled. See
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html#feature.

Hi all,

Is it possible for users to use MapServer to draw lines, points, polygons
(graphic shapes) and add user defined annotation on the map as a temporary
object? In essence I would like to develop redlining capabilities.  Does
anyone know how to achieve this?  I know ArcIMS has redlining capabilities.

Thanks for the help.

Ross

--------------060804050600050404020907

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi<br>
There are different ways to achieve this through scripting. Check out
the project MapLink at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://maplink.sourceforge.net/">http://maplink.sourceforge.net/</a>. This project
allows you to draw shapes on top of a Mapserver generated map and
submitting the coordinates to the server using javascript. The server
will then generate a new png-image with the shape, merge it with the
map and send it to the client (this is done when using the query tool).
Or the server can convert the pixel coordinates into geographical ones
and insert them into (in this case) a PostGIS table. (This is done when
using the edit tool). The PostGIS approach allows you to edit exiting
features.<br>
I believe it would be easy to write a new function that will create a
feature object from submitted coordinates, which can be labelled. See
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html#feature">http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html#feature</a>.<br>
  <pre wrap="">Hi all,

Is it possible for users to use MapServer to draw lines, points, polygons
(graphic shapes) and add user defined annotation on the map as a temporary
object? In essence I would like to develop redlining capabilities.  Does
anyone know how to achieve this?  I know ArcIMS has redlining capabilities.

Thanks for the help.

Ross</pre>