[Mapserver-users] ArcMap and Geo-referenced TIFF file problem

P Wilkerson 1wilkerson at charter.net
Wed Jul 14 11:30:17 EDT 2004

I am nearing a critical deadline and I am really stumped and need help.

I cannot generate a georeferenced  TIFF using ArcMap that works within
Mapserver  The resolution is either too low or only a section of the map is
exported.

Help!

Peter

==============

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

The group I am working with is trying to get a geo-referenced TIFF image
file exported from ArcMap so it can be used by Mapserver.   The problem is
that we can export a low-resolution map that is a working geo-referenced
TIFF but when we go to export the same map at, say, 300 dpi one of two
things happen:

    1) We only get an output of a part of the map that we can see on our
monitor screen rather than the whole map.   The resulting map also has its
colors changed to some unexpected colors, or...

    2) We get a high-resolution TIFF file that has lost its geo-referencing.

-----------------

    I tried the Geotiffe utility without success to set the values for the
high-resolution, non-georeferenced TIFF (scenario #2 above).

-----------------------

Below is a copy of a portion of my map file.   The boston1844 layer works
fine.  I cannot generate a georef TIFF that works for the  a1874 layer.

MAP
  NAME bostonstreets
  SIZE 600 450
  IMAGECOLOR 195 195 195
# Extent below is for Ortho map which covers a wider area than the 1874a map
  EXTENT  232128.515      897273.863                     239515.676
903627.798
  UNITS meters
# IMAGETYPE PNG
  SHAPEPATH "/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/"
  SYMBOLSET
"/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/etc/symbols.sym"
  FONTSET
"/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/etc/fonts.txt"

WEB
  IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/tmp/"
  IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
  MAXSCALE 44956.225339
  MINSCALE 1100.000
END

REFERENCE
   IMAGE
"/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/keymap/2001keymap.
gif"
# Extent below is for Ortho map which covers a wider area than the 1874a map
  EXTENT  232128.515      897273.863                     239515.676
903627.798
   STATUS ON
  COLOR -1 -1 -1
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
 SIZE 200 150
END

#-------------------------------------

LAYER
     NAME "boston1844"
     STATUS Off
     TYPE RASTER
     DATA
"/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/m1844/dickinson_18
44.tiff"
END # Layer for Boston 1844 map

LAYER
     NAME "a1874"
     STATUS ON
     TYPE RASTER
     DATA
"/usr/local/www/htdocs/pwilkerson.decimaldegrees.com/data/a1874/1874_index.t
if"
END # Layer for Boston 1874 map