[Mapserver-users] What doesn't MapServer do?

ANDY CANFIELD andy_canfield at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:41:56 EDT 2004

Yes, I have no problem doing that. I need to clean it up first though. Also
there are three things with it that may not bode well for public consumption
of it because it was very specific to the process it was created to be used
in.

1.) It is Windows specific because it reads the fields it needs to use in
the shape file from an Ini using GetPrivateProfileString, and it finds the
location of the Ini using GetModuleFileName. I don't know what the
Unix/Linux equivalent for these are. My Unix/Linux C knowlege is very weak
for the OS API calls. Someone else would have to add this as I have no way
of testing it even if I do add the appropriate calls with an #ifdef WIN32
type setup.

2.) Currently it loops through the whole shape file in a full read looking
for matches. Because I am only using a few counties worth of GDT data this
works very well. If you were going to use a huge gdt street base such as the
whole US the shapefile really needs to be read into a balanced b-search-tree
to speed up the lookup to acceptable performance levels on such a large data
set. After the clean up this will be the next thing going into it as I need
to do this for myself too as the area this app serves is getting to a point
where this will soon become a must.

3.) Again for larger areas than I am dealing with you would want to add
city, state, and zip code  filtering logic to it. Where as for the area this
serves I need to see all results in all areas regardless of city, state, and
zip. Again not hard to add, the function could simply have an overloaded
version added that takes these arguments rather than just an address.

If given those things, people are still interested then I will clean it up
and add the b-tree stuff and then put the source out where everyone can get
to it and kick it around a bit.