[Mapserver-users] performance information

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Jul 19 22:53:25 EDT 2004

Jerl -

Unfortunately, the only possible answers are (a) a complex discussion or
(b) blah, blah, blah.

The performance of any Web map server will depend on a long list of
factors - the number of users, the frequency of map requests, the size
of each map request, the average Internet bandwidth to each user, the
pixel depth and image format served, the amount of RAM on the server,
speed and number of CPUs, the interface used for hard disks, the number
of hard disks, their seek times, the number of independent data
channels, the number of data layers used, the format of each layer
(raster, vector, database), the file formats used for each data storage
format, blah, blah, blah.

The only simple answers are incorrect answers.  If I only need to serve
one map request to each user, and I can take as long as I like to do it,
I can serve an almost unlimited number of simultaneous connections
"without major impact to the system".

This is a very complicated discussion.  I have been very pleased with
MapServer's performance - I switched from a single-purpose, dedicated
raster map server that I wrote myself, to MapServer.  But I worked with
MapServer and my data for a long time so I understood how to design my
system (that's something I'd do with any server, not just MapServer).

Most folks feel I run a "pretty big" MapServer installation.  I serve
over half a million maps a day to up to around 1,000 simultaneous users
(more when there's a California earthquake <g>) from about 21 terabytes
of vector and raster imagery in a variety of formats.  I don't claim to
be the biggest MapServer installation around, but I certainly serve more
maps from more data to more users than the average site, and MapServer's
been great for doing that.  But one could easily choke a system that's
much "smaller" in several dimensions with bad design.

If you have a particular MapServer application in mind, there are
several folks here who could give you advice if you could describe it in
as much detail as possible.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker