[Mapserver-users] Multiple map views in one html page?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Jul 21 10:54:57 EDT 2004

Rebecca Colwell wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way to have two or more map views in an
> html document?  I would like the views to be independently "query-able"
> so that different thematic maps could be compared to one another.

Hi Cindy,

I demonstrated just that on MUM2. See:

http://e41.yellow.sara.nl/mum2/001.html

The example is at the end; please click the "next" button top right
until you see "Example 6: Two Maps". It's seven lines of HTML and ten
lines of Javascript. No frames. When you click on the title "Example 6",
you'll get a running example with two world maps (elevation and
satellite), that can be zoomed in independentaly. Note that the maps are
quite detailed: you can zoom in to 1 km.

To use it you have to include my "mapclient_light" JavaScript library,
about 350 lines of source code. Download it from

http://e41.yellow.sara.nl/mum2/mapclient_light.zip

You don't need to look into the code; just use the ten or so calls on
the last-but-one page of the presentation.

I have not used it for querying yet. In principle, the whole MapServer
CGI interface can be called from this library, but queries could take
some thought. Let me know if you can do something with it!

Jan

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam