[Mapserver-users] CMS Shootout

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 29 23:30:16 EDT 2004

Howdy mapserver'ers.

Well, it is time to put up or shut up in the first annual Mapserver CMS
shootout.  That's right, the mapserver community has been looking at
various CMS's as a possible replacement to the current website.  I have
put this WIKI page together to hammer this topic out on, if you wish.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CMSShootout

Currently, we have two entries for this evaluation period.

Plone
  http://walleye.gis.umn.edu:8080/webdemo/ms_plone

TikiWiki
  http://maps.lir.be/tiki-index.php

(Both CMS's were just put up recently)

The purpose of this email is to make sure those folks that want to
participate during this testing period do!  If you have a favorite CMS you
wish to submit for testing, please get involved now!  If you want to test
out these CMSs, please do so now!  We (speaking for the community) would
like to be settling on something in the coming weeks / month(s)...

Your best bet is to hang out on the Mapserver IRC channel while you are
playing with the CMS.  Lets hammer out the problems/issues now!

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MapServerIrcChannel

As an aside.  The purpose of this testing is not to show that one CMS is
better than the other, but which one is:
  * going to meet the needs of the growing Mapserver community
  * AND has a group of dedicated users ready to work a transition from
    an old site to a new CMS.

later,
  daryl

--