[Mapserver-users] OGC versus ESRI's ArcGIS Server {Scanned}

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Jul 30 10:05:30 EDT 2004

Just to clarify, MapServer intersection tests are indeterminite at the
boundary, that is if a point lays exactly on the boundary then the point
in polygon test can return either in or out (it is consistant though).
Same goes for intersection of areas. Fourtunately these are
exceptionally rare cases especially with respect to web applications.
So, for 2) MapServer does just fine except in the case above and for 3)
MapServer can detect intersections but not certain touches. MapServer
does a boolean intersection test and does not compute a new geometry.
(Note that integration with GEOS will bring a lot of PostGIS-like
functionality into MapServer.)

Steve

>>> Siki Zoltan <siki at agt.bme.hu> 7/29/2004 7:48:15 PM >>>
Hi,

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Tran ChiPheo wrote:

> I was asked to research OGC versus ESRI's ArcGIS Server for the
following project:
> I have created an application that runs stand-alone on CD using
MapObjects for Windows. Now I need to Web-enable this app, implement the
Web Services to display maps and do some analysis on the map layers. I
have spoken with ESRI and found that the ArcObjects will do a job as
needed. Now I am trying to find out how OGC MapServer works.

As far as I know MapObject 2.? involves some ArcIMS functionality, so
it
is web enabled.

> I would like to create Web Services that wil reside on my web server
and be reusable for my other projects/tasks. I would like to build my
own web map server.
> I would like to be able to use Mapserver to:
> 1) Display Maps & Labels

Yes

> 2) Is Point In

Limited in mapserver, postgis can solve it

> 3) Touch or Area Intersect

Not in mapserver, postgis can solv it

> 4) Record sets

I don't know what you think about

> 5) Create points from Coordinates

OGR VirtualSpatialData can solve it

> Does Mapserver support the above functions?
> How should I proceed from here?

Read trainig guides, howtos, visit galery ...
... drink much coffee :)

Bye
Zoltan