[Mapserver-users] How do I get the extent values?

John Wiley JWiley at city.parksville.bc.ca
Tue Jun 1 14:22:42 EDT 2004

Your extent is the min max coordinates in the map file.
It can be located in the .tfw in the arcInfo enviornment.
Alternately you can record it from a cursor location in most mapping applications such as Arcview or AutoCad.

>>> "Namnath, Sharyn" <NamnatSR at NV.DOE.GOV> 06/01/04 10:47am >>>
I am trying to show my map using MapServer & PHP.  However, I can't seem to
figure out how to get the extent valuies

Here is my .map file

MAP

    NAME HELLO

    IMAGETYPE      PNG

    STATUS ON

    EXTENT 0 0 4000 3000

    SIZE 400 300

    WEB

        IMAGEPATH "/Inetpub/wwwroot/MyOwnData/tmp/"

        IMAGEURL "tmp/"

    END

LAYER # MODIS raster layer begins here

  NAME         Italy

  DATA         "data/Italy.jpg"

  STATUS       DEFAULT

  TYPE         RASTER

  PROCESSING   "BANDS=1,2,3"

  OFFSITE      71 74 65

  PROJECTION

    "init=epsg:4326"

  END

END # MODIS raster layer ends here

END

In the MapServer tutorial, it says that I can use ArcView to determine the
extent. I have ArcView, but I still can't figure out how to get the extent
in it.  I've tried a couple of different values from Area Of Interest
(Display & View), but none of those seem to work either.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Sharyn