[Mapserver-users] raster data formats

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 1 16:33:59 EDT 2004

Hi list,

did somebody do a (recent) research into what would be the most ideal
raster format for Mapserver (or for webmapping in general)?

Aspects which come to mind:

-time to produce the map
-CPU usage
-disk space
-memory consumption

I would especially be interested in comparing compressed Geotiff,
uncompressed Geotiff, ECW and JPEG2000.

I know Ed McNierney has made several strong pleas for uncompressed Geotiff
although depending on the situation, but are there any hard figures out
there to convince people? Ofcourse every research will depend on the
rasters used, but just wondering if there are any figures out there.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bart