[Mapserver-users] What is CONFIG parameter for?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 3 23:53:50 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>>Well, it's fairly opened ended but for now it basically passes on config
>>options to GDAL/OGR and the special item for the PROJ_LIB.
>

> Can it handle any variable or only certain ones?

Tyler,

Mostly just those that we have anticipated in advance and added support for.
If it isn't a special key like PROJ_LIB, then it falls back to using
the GDAL CPLSetConfigOption() call which can (increasingly) be used for any
GDAL or OGR related configuration option.  This includes GDAL_DATA, some
special options for particular drivers (ie. the DODS_CONFIG item for which
it was originally implemented), stuff that would control GDAL's raster
caching.  But these are all GDAL/OGR things that use the CPL configuration
option architecture to get their information.

I forsee other subsystems also utilizing the CONFIG keyword in the future
if they have stuff they would normally just pick up from the environment
or some other magic place.

Best regards,