[Mapserver-users] Perl/MapScript or PHP/Mapscript

Norbert Thieme norbert.thieme at ilmenau.baw.de
Fri Jun 4 03:03:50 EDT 2004

Alexander Lim schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I just getting started and realised that we can make
> use of Perl/MapScript and PHP/Mapscript, but i would
> like to know what's the differences and which one is
> "better" to use. And which one is more popular and
> more people are using it (This is for getting help
> from this list when i face some problem down the
> line). Does the two perform and is doing the same
> thing at all?
>
> which one should i adopt in terms of flexibility and
> features.
>
> please advice. thanks
>
> alex

I think both are a good choice and you can make your decision on your
experiences in PHP and Perl.

My impression is that PHP is a bit more often used. But I think the
functions should not be too different.

To the specific functions of mapscript you have to see the functions of
"basic" Perl - PHP. I can't tell you something about Perl but PHP itself
is great because there are much helpful functions for example for
database access which can help to make a nice application.

Regards,
Norbert