[Mapserver-users] MapServer 4.2.0 released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 4 12:20:35 EDT 2004

Mark Adams wrote:
> Can someone tell me whether the gdal included with the Windows PHP
> mapscript binary packages has support for jpeg 2000 (jp2) files? I have
> been trying out maplab and received an "unsupported format" error when
> trying to view a jp2 file. The gdal web page indicates that this format
> should be supported; I can't see any way of determining whether the dll
> I have installed from the mapscript package somehow excludes this format
> or not. (I've seen reference to a utility called gdal-config but none of
> the gdal packages I've been able to find and download include this
> utility.)

Mark,

I *think* the DMSolutions builds of MapServer do not include JPEG2000 support.

All GDAL supported formats are listed on the GDAL web pages, but many require
additional libraries some of which have various licensing restrictions.  So any
given "build" of GDAL will have only some subset of the potential formats.

The OpenEV_FW releases I prepare do include MapServer and JPEG2000 support
but they don't include PHP support or some of the other great stuff that
DM Solutions does.  Sometimes it is hard to get a build with everything.

PS. gdal-config is really only available on unix.

PPS.  If you have the commandline programs like gdalinfo you can use
"gdalinfo --formats" to get a list of supported formats in that build.

Best regards,