[Mapserver-users] Perl/MapScript or PHP/Mapscript

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Sat Jun 5 01:25:14 EDT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 10:07 PM, Lowell.Filak wrote:

> By "not showing much promise" are you referring to it not running on
> MS-Windows? Is that a requirement for apps like mapdesk?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lowell

Lowell, that was just poor wording on my part.

What I wanted to say was that despite Perl being the richest of
the mapscripting languages, there are no contributed Perl/MapScript
programs (at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/contributed.html) that are in
the class of MapLab, or MapDesk, or like Chameleon which abstracts web
mapping a bit further.  For better or for worse, there is no "killer
app"
for Perl/MapScript, no particular program that drives users to adopt
that
flavor of mapscript as MapLab or Chameleon do for PHP/MapScript.

On the other hand, Perl speaks for itself and has never needed a killer
app for promotion.

Sean

--
Sean Gillies