[Mapserver-users] Win32 + Mapscript + ActiveState Perl + precompiled??

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Mon Jun 7 09:56:08 EDT 2004

The following message was sent by "Ryan Dietrich" <ryan at dietrich.net> on
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 02:56:00 -0400.

> I downloaded the source and pre-compiled binaries for mapserver (for
win32).
> I, like many other people am looking for the "simple" solution to getting
> mapscript compiled (perl specifically).
>

> Is there an easy solution for compiling the perl module with the win32
> pre-compiled binaries?
>

> Better yet, does anyone just have a ppm for this (didn't see it on
> activestate's site).
>

> I also found it a little odd that this wasn't on cpan, even odder,
there is
> no author mentioned in any of the perl code.

The Perl/Python/Ruby mapscript API's are all generated from the C code
via SWIG.
That is why there is no author and no pm on CPAN as any dependencies
incorporated during the C code compile effect the pm so it's "easier" to
do a "make" in the mapscript directory after the compile of the
mapserv(exe) is successful.
I don't think this means that a pm(s) can't be done however, it just hasn't.
The most recently compiled win32 version of Perl mapscript that I am
aware of was done during the 3.6 version and required Cygwin - the notes
are in the wiki:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PerlCygwin

Lowell