[Mapserver-users] Autonumbering of labels?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jun 7 10:17:56 EDT 2004

Doug,

Part of the problem in doing this has to do with the label cache and how
it treats label collisions and how you want to deal with these. For
example, if I have 2 points in my current map and the are so close
together that one lays on top of the other, the label cache would not
render the second label and therefore you would only have one label on
the map. This is compounded by the fact the you have to assign the
numbers to the labels BEFORE you put them in the cache and you only know
if they have to be removed AFTER the numbers are assigned which will
leave gaps in the number sequences, and you can't cost effectively
re-label the cache when one gets bumped out by a collision.

On the other hand, if you don't care about collisions and are using the
equivalent of FORCE all labels to be drawn then most of the above issues
away.

This is a pretty simple application of mapscript, in fact most virtual
data sources in mapscript do a database query to get the point that
belong in the current map extents and then just cycle through them and
draw and label them on top of the current map image over writing
whatever is under them.

-Steve W.