[Mapserver-users] Virtual Spatial Data from SQL Server

IMD Listuser imd_listuser at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 08:25:38 EDT 2004

I'm confused!

Ive followed the instructions in the wiki at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData

>From what I can tell, the .ovf file needs to contain an element
<OGRVRTLayer> which specifies the name of the Layer analogous to the
NAME element in a LAYER section in a .map file. Is this incorrect?

Also, the <SrcLayer> element is intended to specify the table in which
the x and y columns for the <GeometryField> element exist, no?

As an alternative to <SrcLayer>, my understanding is that <SrcSQL>
element can be used to pass a SQL statement to retrieve a subset of
columns or rows accordin to the SQL itself. Please correct me if I am
wrong.

So, I do not understand what you mean by:

"create a new database and put ur table there ur ODBC is pointing to the
wrong table by default"

My sense is that the ODBC does not actually point to the table, rather
the database

Thanks

Charlie

Charlie Van Dusen