[Mapserver-users] mapserver and extern interfacing

Pierre GIRAUD pierre.giraud3 at free.fr
Wed Jun 9 03:30:35 EDT 2004

To be very simple, it is hopefully possible to connect mapserver to
external source of datas. First of all using WMS for example.
To be more concrete, we developped Cartoweb, an application using
php-mapscript that can operate with multiple servers. In most cases, it
is used including a cartoserver and a cartoclient. The first one
generates the images (map, scalebar, icones), the request results, and
pass all the application parameters to the cartoclient in xml-rpc
format. The cartoclient is in charge of the setup the output page, in a
browser readable format (HTML). The shapefiles and database (geospatial
or not) are stored in the cartoserver. Several cartoclients are able to
request the same cartoserver and we can imagine that they should be able
to request different cartoservers, or WMS servers.
For the last point, you should take a look at moximedia's demos that use
external data from demis WMS which are good examples.

Hope I answered your questions.

Pierre GIRAUD
camptocamp.com