[Mapserver-users] Dynamic Features

Norbert Thieme norbert.thieme at ilmenau.baw.de
Fri Jun 11 04:36:25 EDT 2004

Jonathan Mangano schrieb:
> I have probably been too vague so here is some more info on what I have and what I am trying to do.
>
> I already have a database full of gps coordinates for varies vehicles and
> can load this data through java (the information is already used on a J2EE
> website) or using PHP. I have a working mapserver running on apache
> with php4 installed. So far I have successfully displayed maps and with a
> number of layers. The difficulty I am having is dynamically placing points
> on a map to show where a vehicle is using the gps coordinates I have. I
> have gone through all the php mapscript tutorials I could find and have not found an example of this. I did find a perl example in this forum but
> couldn't get it to show the points.
>
> Does anyone have a link to a short tutorial or example that would explain
> how I can (probably using php) create a points layer place points at
> various lat/lon coordinates and display it with associated map layers?
>
> Thanks

> I am building a fleet management system that track moving vehicles using gps. I need to add mapping functionality but am new to the gis world and am having difficultly finding a starting point. Are there any mapserver tutorials that go through adding dynamic features to a map?
>
> Thanks

Hi.

Sorry I can't tell you the exact way because I never tried but I think
you have to:

- create a pointobj with the wanted coordinate
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/phpmapscript-class-guide.html#pointobj)

- create a shapeobj and add your pointobj
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/phpmapscript-class-guide.html#ShapeObj)

- add the shapeobj to a layer
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/phpmapscript-class-guide.html#LayerObj)
or add it to new shapfileobj